Principal : Karen Donato
Co-presidents: Nandana Mewada
Vice-President: Christy Murphy-Macinta
Co-treasurers: Stacey Ihnat & Carolyn Schneyer
Co-secretaries: Emily Gauthier & Fiona Ehring
Fundraising: Juliet Moir
Arlington Community Card: Ashley Lorenz & Gaggi DeStefanis
Enrichment: Tonja Bishop
Communications: Danielle Gottesman & Lani Obermeyer
Spirit & Appreciation: Judy Hu
Thompson Community: Nandana Mewada, Sara Wilkinson, Fiona Ehring, Christy Murphy-Macinta, Ashley Lorenz, Kate Murphy, Judy Hu, Maf Terry, Juliet Moir, Gaggi DeStefanis, Lani Obermayer, Danielle Gottesman
- Introductions – All
- Board Election- Approved All
- School Updates: Mrs. Donato
- 25 New students, 510 total
- Social and emotional work by staff over the Summer. Expectation setting. Monthly focus with learning materials, books. September focus is manners.
- Reached out to families in need for financial aid (science camp)
- Lions Club and other Community Partners donated school supplies; headphones, backpacks etc..
- Calming Corners in each classroom,
- Pineapple theme for the year.
- PTO Presentation: Nandana Mewada, Tonja Bowen Bishop, Carolyn Schneyer, Ashley Lorenz, Juliet Moir
- Tonja Bowen Bishop Enrichment Chair
- Enrichment- over 30 events each year
- Community & Other Events
- Carolyn Schneyer & Stacey Ihnat co-treasurer
- Use tax id #46-5690446 to take advantage of tax exempt status.
- Contact for reimbursement, forms are avaiilable online
- Budget will be presented next month 10/10
- Money for the current school year comes from fundraising the year before
- Ashley Lorenz
- Looking for new ideas for sales opportunities, e.g. approaching realtors to sell within their office or have them buy a bunch to give to new clients
- Family Sales starts on Curriculum Night, 9/17, e.g. sports events. Sign out card packs that night
- Juliet Moir
- Direct donation accounts for a large percentage of funding.
- Companies may match employee donations
- Runs in October
- 275 Families goal
- Christy Murphy
- Room parents needed for each clcassroom
- New this year, “room” parents for specialists.
- Yael Beals – volunteer chair
- Danielle Gottesman & Lani Obermeyer co- chairs Communication
- Website and Newsletter
- Photos from events can be sent to the newsletter email
- Thompson website and PTO website still under development but functional.
- Feedback is welcome regarding social media and websites
- Facebook is main social media hub
- Parents can sign up to get the PTO newsletter on the PTO website.
- Fall Events
- Town Day (Sept 15th): Ashley Lorenz (see fundraising above)
- Curriculum Night (Sept 17th): Mrs. Donato
- Gr. 3-5 early this year
- Specialist presentation/ meet and greet in-between grade level presentations
- Walk-Bike to School (Oct 10th): Need co-chair with Tonja Bishop
- Movie Night (Oct 12th): Need a co-chair
- Movie will be outdoors
- Rent a screen
- Winter Events
- Literacy Night & Book Fair (December) Need a co-chair
- Holiday Drive (December)
- Parent Winter Party (Jan/Feb) Need co-chairs
- Game Night (Feb)
- International Festival (March)
- Financial Assistance Communication: Nandana Mewada
- Forms for financial assistance will go out in backpacks next week.
- Financial Assistance is available for spirit wear, book fair, science camp, etc.
- Morning Meetings: Nandana Mewada
- Great for parents who may not be able to make an evening meeting.
- This may be a good opportunity for specialists to speak.
- Arlington Education Foundation (AEF): Danielle Gottesman
- Raise money throughout the school year for grants to be given to schools.
- Ex. snowshoes & Arlington Eats pottery program (Thompson), Climbing wall (Bracket), Drone coding (Ottoson)
- Parents can partner with an educator and apply for a grant.
- Other Updates & Announcements
- Request for ideas before the budget is finalized so that it can be approved and become a line item.
- Jean Faucher reported that the Friends of North Union Park group needs volunteers throughout the year to water and care for trees around the park and school